Saturday, January 23, 2010

10 for 2010

I could go on forever and ever, but I will keep this simple. It's a new year and it's time for a new me! I have made several New Year's Resolutions that I am proudly sticking to so far this year! Granted, it's not even February, but hey! I am trying!

In no particular order...
1. Lose 60 pounds. I am overweight. As a matter of a fact, I am obese. It is ugly and I don't like it. While I am not obsessed with physical beauty by any means, I am obsessed with being healthy and active! I am excited that I have more resolve then ever before. The bad news is, I have more to lose then ever before! However, with the help of Weight Watchers and the Couch to 5K running plan, I WILL lose 30 lbs. by Bran's birthday (June 14th) and 30 more by my birthday (October 4th)! I would prefer to lose all 60 by June, but that might be pushing it!

2. Read. I love reading, but I have a hard time prioritizing it, particularly when the TV is so tempting. So, I am committed to reading for at least 10 minutes everyday. The thing is, when I get sucked in to a book, I have a hard time putting it down. So, when I commit to 10 minutes I am in it for much longer! I have already completed 2 BIG books, and I am excited to read more that have been on my shelf for far too long!

3. Become debt free. We have been focusing much of our attention on going through Financial Peace University. While Branum and I are fortunate to have already had some ideas about good choices, Dave Ramsey has encouraged us to make some major, important changes. We are excited about our financial future. We have changed our payoff plans, are using an envelope system, updated our insurance coverage, and are snowballing our debt. We have even cancelled satellite, which oughta help with the reading thing! This has also created some other great opportunities. See below. We are going to be RICH! :)

4. Create/Use a menu. This has been the most difficult change for me. It started out with some disagreements, but we finally settled in and it has been FABULOUS! We shop on the weekend following our payday and we buy everything we need for the month. Then we cook, and cook and cook and then freeze and freeze and freeze. It is not really batch cooking, but it has worked similarly for our family. I make better eating choices and we spend way less money. It has been awesome for our budget and my weight loss as well!

5. Pray for my kids. I pray often. That part isn't a problem. However, I am typically asking for something instead of praying for the good of someone else. I am committed to praying for my kids daily. My prayers are intentional and specific and it has been very rewarding.

6. Get organized. I am following some of the suggestions at FlyLady and it has been great! We have made a conscious effort to shine our sink every night, as she suggests and we also focus on "hotspots." It has simplified our life a great deal. We have rearranged our house and completed several projects. We have also created a new method for tackling laundry that has been great!

7. Go back to school. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment!!! I love being a teacher. It is my passion and I want to be the best I can be at it. In addition, I look forward to the potential opportunity to move up. Therefore, I have accepted a scholarship and I am back in school. I will work on my administration certification as well as, eventually, my Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction. I am a better teacher when I am an active learner and while this will take sacrifice, I am excited!

8. Daily Quiet Time. I dropped the ball on the 90 Day Challenge to read my Bible, however, I got pretty far and my life was truly blessed when I was immersed in God's word. For that reason, I have been making an effort to spend daily time in His word. In addition, I am spending quality, accountability time with two of my best friends!

9. Focus on my marriage. Our marriage has always been blessed. Truly. Branum and I don't often fight and our priorities are very similar. I am grateful. That said, even it can use some focus and improvement. Of course, daily quiet times and praying for our kids will help out a great deal, but I am also working directly on my responses, reactions, etc. I am reading The Love Dare and learning a great deal. Our small group is also planning to read The Five Love Languages, which will also help me to understand Branum and myself better.

10. Become an encourager. That's it. I am not good at it, and I want to be better. I hope that will help to ease my tendency towards becoming a green-eyed monster.

4 comments:

  1. What a great list, Cayce!

    Having lost 40lbs last year, I know you can do it! I'd like to drop another 30 this year, but I don't know if my body can handle it... but it sounds like you're on the right track! I know you can do it!!!

    Maybe you can share your menu planning ideas? I'd love to get down to going to the grocery store once a month! I'm not very good at that right now!

    What will you be going back to school for? How exciting!

    I can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Love it!

    The menu planning is something that I've been working on too and is going to be a blog very soon! It's tough!

    I really LOVE the new blog design! Can't wait to read all about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cayce! I am also interested in the menu planning. And just so you know...you have inspired me with this post. So thank you! Good luck with all of your endeavors and keep us updated with your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet you didn't know I read your blog too did ya??? I think it's great that you're putting everything "out there" with all your goals. It's great to watch and I know you're an inspiration to many!

    If you have a chance, stop by our blog from time to time: www.swindellonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...