Friday, April 2, 2010

resolution update

We are busy, busy people and I haven't had much time to blog. I apologize to my loyal reader. Yes, reader. I always have great blog ideas but never get around to posting them. However, I wanted to update you all, 3 months in, on my resolutions. Hopefully, more blogs will follow.

1. Lose 60 pounds: I would like to say that i have lost all 60 already, however, that wouldn't have been a safe approach. I thought I could probably lose about 8-10 lbs. per month, and would love my 60 by early summer. I am a bit behind on that projection, but I have dropped 15 pounds and have stayed focused. I have had some tough weeks here and there, but I have continued to come back to my goal. I have lost all baby weight and now I need to lose what I had long before I got prego with Barret!

2. Read: I have my good days and bad days on this one. Something about young kids, being in school, lots of involvement at church, etc. I just don't have many nights to just sit and read! I haven't spent tons of time watching tv though, so when time allows, I read. I have finished several wonderful books in the last 3 months that I would definitely recommend.
***A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller was fabulous and truly had me looking at my life and how I want to be thought of and remembered.
***Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Wow! This was my second time reading this amazing story, and I got so much more out of it this time around. I couldn't put it down. How blessed are we that our Heavenly Father is so willing to forgive our transgressions!?
***Always Looking Up: This story is an autobiographical look at Michael J. Fox and his battle with Parkinsons. As many know, my incredible grandfather lost a tough battle to this disease and we watched him suffer and struggle to do what he loved day in and day out. Michael J. Fox's look at having a positive attitude through all the pain and change was life-altering to me. It fit well with Resolution #10.
***The Fighting Ground: by Avi. This is an adolescent lit book about the American Revolution. I read it with several students and really enjoyed it. It will become a staple in my classroom.
***Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief: This series is fabulous! I love adolescent lit and I try to always read what my students are reading. I finished book 1 and have almost completed book 2. There are 2 more installments to follow.
***I am in the middle of reading the following books. They are located throughout my classroom and on my bedside table. The Hunger Games- HOLY MOLY! Might, POSSIBLY, be better than Twilight. I'll let you know when I finish! Chains Another American Revolution story that is quite gripping. The Fire Within A Medieval story that a student shared with me. I am not very far in to it yet, so I will withhold judgement. Boundaries with Kids is a series we are going through in Sunday school as a follow-up to another fabulous parenting series.
****On my list to complete before summer: Lone Survivor, the rest of the Lightening Thief series, the rest of The Fire Within series, The Outliers and Blue Like Jazz.

3. Become debt-free: Financial Peace University has been an incredible blessing in our lives. We have learned so much and shifted our priorities. We have finally, we think, gotten our budget figured out and we are progressing to the point where we can actually make a dent in our debt. We have already had to use our emergency fund once, and have since rebuilt it almost completely. We are much, much more aware of our money and our habits and have made big goals so that we can "live like no one else today so we can live like no one else tomorrow!"

4. Create/Use a menu:We dropped the ball on this for the month of March and it was TOUGH! We did great January and February and March taught us how this was definitely a habit we didn't want to break. Our budget was adversely affected and so was our diet. We are batch cooking again tomorrow and getting back on the ball!

5. Pray for our kids: I have been super weak in this area. I have not followed the calendar as I intended and I have not been intentional with my prayers. I am intentional with their influences and influencers but I desire to do a better job of praying directly for my precious babies.

6. Get organized: This resolution has been partly successful. I haven't REALLY mastered the organization, but we have been much better about keeping our lives together. But, man, we lose control quickly thanks in part to our busy schedules and sheer exhaustion. Fortunately, we have seen how the organization actually eases our minds and our schedules when we prioritize it.

7. Go back to school: I am fully immersed in school and have big plans for my future schooling! I am excited to learn new things and pursue my ultimate job goals. I intend to finish my administration certification by next summer and then pursue my Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction. I was excited to learn that I will be very close to finishing it when I start, thanks to my Masters and admin. certification!!! I ought to be able to finish the classes within a year or so and then work on my dissertation. You can call me Dr. Noble;)

8. Daily Quiet Time: I suck at this and totally blew this resolution!!!

9. Focus on my marriage: Have I ever mentioned how spoiled I am by my amazing husband!? Truly. He is a stud! I am so blessed. Bran and I have both been working hard to be aware of each other's needs and our marriage has been blessed. We haven't really done anything in particular, but we have each made choices to better the life of our spouse. We are approaching our 7th anniversary this summer!

10. Become an encourager: Umm, yea, I haven't done so hot on this one. I am still trying but man is it a weakness. I have really, REALLY been tested this semester at school and I have had a hard time. I have been burned a time or two and I know God is calling me to be bigger and turn the other cheek. But, I am sort of out of cheeks! And then I am supposed to turn around and encourage those people!? Yowza. BIG struggles.

So, many of my resolutions have been met or are being met but I still have lots of work to do. I am staying focused!!!

3 comments:

  1. 1. CONGRATS on the weight loss! That's AWESOME, Cayce! Way to go!! Keep it up!!!!!!
    2. I LOVED a Million Miles in a Thousand Years, too!
    3. You are definitely making progess! We're only in the first quarter, and you are kicking butt! Way to go girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bet you didn't know that I read your blog did you??? Keep going, I think it's great that you put all this "out there". I love reading blogs and here's our blog if you ever want to check it out: www.swindellonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read your blog too, seester! i love you and am so very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...